For the Christian, death isn't the end, it's just the beginning.
This week, we'd like to take a step back and just look at some overview of heaven. No, as always, this is the foothills of Mt. Everest on this topic. But may this encourage you today!
# 1 - Some Biblical Observations
1. William Gurnall has said, “Let your hope of heaven master your fear of death.”
And it was told to John: "Fear not, I am the first and the last, and the living one. I died, and I am alive forevermore. I have the keys of Death and Hades” (Revelation 1:17-18).
Everything originates in Jesus. Everything is moving toward Jesus. Everything between is sustained by Jesus. Fear not.
2. The Lord is much bigger and much better than we imagine. No one ever gets to heaven and concludes that Jesus wasn’t worth it.
3. In heaven, I don't know if all our questions will be answered, but it seems to me that once we see Jesus face-to-face, we won't feel the need to ask many questions. When we get to heaven, we’ll see that God has answered all of our prayers in the way that is best.
4. The greatest thing about heaven is Jesus. And if anything but Jesus is your treasure when you die, heaven will not be your home.
5. In 700 BC, Isaiah had a vision of heaven filled with angels crying "Holy! Holy! Holy!" (Isa. 6:3). 800 years later the apostle John had a similar vision and the angels were still crying "Holy! Holy! Holy!" (Rev. 4:8). According to the angels, we will never be bored of God in heaven. So, if you're not a fan of repetition in worship songs, heaven may prove to be a struggle. #HolyHolyHoly
6. Christ was lifted up on the cross to die in order to lift us up to heaven to live. But what is Jesus doing in heaven right now? He is...
-Seated as our King and Priest (Heb. 8:1);
-Mediating the New Covenant (Heb. 9:15);
-Preparing the believer's eternal home (Jn. 14:2);
-Interceding on our behalf (Rom. 8:34); and,
-Awaiting the Father's command to come for us (Heb. 10:13).
7. On the Last Day, we will be surprised how differently God evaluates things than we do. Heaven will be filled with many "no-name" saints who humbly served behind the scenes. They neither wrote books nor had books written about them, but God's Book is full of their faithful deeds.
8. The streets in heaven will be made of gold (Revelation 21:21). Do not lose your soul trying to accumulate what will be pavement in glory (Mark 8:36).
Bottom-line: God is real. Satan is real. Sin is real. Forgiveness is real. Judgment is real. Heaven is real. Hell is real.
#2 - Short Truths About Heaven
- 1) Heaven is being prepared by Christ himself (John 14:3).
- 2) Heaven is only for those who have been born again (John 3:3).
- 3) Heaven is described as a glorious city (Revelation 21:11, 18)
- 4) Heaven will shine with and be lighted by God’s glory (Revelation 21:11, 23; 22:5).
- 5) Heaven’s gates will never be shut (Revelation 21:25).
- 6) Heaven has the river of the Water of Life to insure everlasting life (Rev. 22:1-8).
- 7) Heaven has the Tree of Life to insure abundant life (Revelation 22:2, 19)
- 8) Heaven has the throne of God at its center (Revelation 4:2; 22:1-2).
- 9) Heaven is a place of holiness (Revelation 21:27).
- 10) Heaven is beautiful (Psalm 50:2).
- 11) Heaven is a place of unity (Ephesians 1:10).
- 12) Heaven is a place of perfection (1 Corinthians 13:10).
- 13) Heaven is joyful (Psalm 16:11).
- 14) Heaven is a place for all eternity (John 3:15; Psalm 23:6).
- 15) Heaven has no night (Revelation 21:25; 22:5).
- 16) Heaven is filled with singing (Is. 44:23; Rev. 14:3; 15:1-3)
- 17) Heaven is a place of wonderful service (Revelation 7:15; 22:3).
#3 - What will our bodies be like?
- 1) They will be recognizable (1 Corinthians 13:12)
- 2) They will be like Christ’s body (glorified--1 John 3:2).
- 3) They will be unlimited by space (Luke 24:31; John 20:19, 26).
- 4) They will be eternal (2 Corinthians 5:1-5).
- 5) They will be glorious (Romans 8:18; 1 Cor. 15:43).
- 6) They will not have pain (Revelation 21:4-7).
- 7) They will not die (1 Cor. 15:26; Rev. 21:4)
- 8) They will not hunger or thirst (Revelation 7:16).
- 9) They will not sin (Revelation 21:27).
In heaven, there will be no more...
- fake news
- mourning, etc.