There are two things of which I am certain.
1. Life is hard.
2. God is good.
It's impossible to exaggerate the goodness of God's grace. But how often do you turn back the clock to remember God's goodness? Today, let’s just remind ourselves of God’s goodness via some application.
1. "Surely goodness and mercy shall *pursue* (יִ֭רְדְּפוּנִי) me all the days of my life.” Psalm 23:6. The point is not that God is so slow he can’t catch you. But that none of his children is so fast we could ever escape his ineluctable goodness.
2. See God’s goodness in your ordinary days. Today, you are covered in Christ’s righteousness, showered with God’s goodness, filled with the Spirit’s presence.... What more could you ask?
3. It's not your goodness, but God's goodness that is your hope. It’s impossible to believe in God’s control over everything and not admit that every time you grumble and complain, you are grumbling against his wisdom, sovereignty, goodness and love. And by the way, there’s grace for this struggle!
4. You and I fail somehow, someway every day, but God's goodness never ever fails. Everything in this fallen world will fail you in some way, but, hear again: God's goodness and grace never fails. The riches of God's goodness in Jesus far outweigh the burden of the guilt of our sin. Be thankful that the goodness of God’s mercy doesn’t just fall on the deserving.
5. God's goodness is demonstrated both by saying "no" to much of what you think you need and delivering what HE knows you really need. When you're in a moment of suffering, do you question God's goodness or do you run towards his grace and mercy?
6. "Joy is a quiet gladness of heart as one contemplates the goodness of God's saving grace in Christ Jesus” (John Calvin). Look for reasons today to celebrate the goodness of God in your life and, in so doing, silence the tendency of your heart to grumble.
7. We awake this morning to the goodness of God, whether in the midst of apparent blessing or in the midst of the most difficult trial. God's goodness is not in question. He is good in every way all the time. The question is: will you follow him by faith?
Finally, remember: You can and will search today for the many treasures of God’s blessing in your life…or look for reasons to question his goodness. This is one of the daily battles of the heart! And, by the way, there’s grace for this battle, too!