"The hopes and fears of all the years are met in thee tonight."
Struck by the absence of grandiosity in the birth of Jesus. Plenty of glory from above. But no human swagger. Simple, open.
With the birth of Jesus, the "Yes!" to every promise God made arrived, and the resolution to all fear and brokenness. The birth of Jesus declared that God is with us (Matt 1:18-25). The Great Commission of Jesus declared that He is with us always, even to the end of the age (Matt 28:20). So, Christmas was a one-time historic event *and* is a continuing reality every single day. Like wow.
Today, for Theology Tuesday, just some short thoughts on the birth of Christ. May they be encouraging and edifying to you.
1. Jesus' birth is the one Christmas gift that actually opens us. He changes our heart from stone-cold to warm
2. The birth of Jesus proves that God’s grace is not an idea, it is a person. The Messiah Jesus IS the grace of God come to earth.
3. The birth of Jesus is an argument for the fact that we were not wired to live on our own. We were created with a purpose – to glorify God and enjoy him forever and proclaim him!
4. The birth of Jesus proves you can trust God. His birth demonstrates that God will faithfully do everything he promised.
5. "Do not be afraid." Announcing Jesus' birth, declaring his resurrection, and the most repeated command in the Bible. What have we to fear (Romans 8:31-39)?
6. At His birth, Jesus was unlike any baby ever born—eternal Deity joined to sinless humanity, the Infinite Infant, as Spurgeon said. Jesus bore our humanity at His birth so that He could bear our sins in His death.
7. We complain about so many little things, but no complaint came out of Jesus’ mouth, even though he suffered every day from birth to death (1 Peter 2:21-23). What a Savior!
8. The birth of Jesus is rooted in grief and love. God’s grief over the devastation of sin and his tender love for the sinner.
9. The birth of Jesus is the result of God's angry grace. He's angry at what sin's done to his world and in grace he sends his Son to redeem us.
10. The birth of Jesus is God's guarantee that he will not let sin and death win in the world or in the hearts of his children. He is Victor!
11. The birth of Jesus was all about thrones. He came to dethrone us and enthroned himself in our hearts and lives forever. Are you grateful?